As the month’s progress, the cost of electricity is on the rise and is now considered one of the major challenges faced by the world. The depletion of fossil fuels used to generate electricity has led to a scarcity of resources, driving up production costs.
This ongoing situation is likely to impact you as well. Therefore, what steps can you take to mitigate the impact of these changes and reduce your monthly electricity bills?
How Cost-Saving Benefits of Switching to Solar Power?
By installing solar panels on your rooftop, you’re effectively transforming your home into a self-sufficient power plant. The panels harness renewable energy, which can significantly decrease or entirely eliminate your electricity expenses.
The amount of money you can save by switching to solar power relies on two basic factors:
- The cost you presently incur to purchase electricity from the power grid
- The cost you will incur to produce your own electricity using solar power
As a general guideline, if your solar expenses are lower than your electricity expenses, you can anticipate saving money by switching to solar power.
- Find out about low-income subsidies offered by electric companies and inquire about eligibility to take advantage of them and pay less.
- Consume less electricity by changing your habits, such as turning off unused appliances and lights, and switching to compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Reduce your usage of cooling and heating systems by opening curtains for natural warmth or ventilation and avoiding overuse of air conditioning and heating systems.
- Regularly clean your appliances to ensure they are working at their most efficient level.
- Unplug appliances that continue to draw electricity when not in use to avoid unnecessary power drains.
- Choose energy-efficient appliances and products when shopping and consider installing solar PVs to generate your own electricity.
- Control your electric costs by switching to solar electricity, which can significantly reduce your electricity bill by drawing power at a lower-priced rate tier from the utility grid.
- Prevent yourself from rising electricity costs, as fossil fuels are subject to unpredictable and unstable foreign markets, causing traditional electricity rates to steadily increase. Switching to solar electricity provides predictable and fixed electricity rates for years.
Method for Estimating Energy Expense Reductions with Net Metered PV System
For a home with a grid-connected solar electric system utilizing the net-metering arrangement, it is possible to calculate the annual electricity production as well as the resulting savings on your electricity bill.
To determine the energy production and cost savings of a photovoltaic (PV) system, you need to follow a few steps:
- Determine the size of your PV system in kilowatts (kW), which typically ranges from 1 to 5 kW. This value is denoted by “kW of PV” in the equation below.
- Select the energy production factor based on the location of your house. The energy production factor, denoted by “kWh/kW-year,” is determined by the amount of sunlight that the area receives. You can refer to a map to find the appropriate factor.
- Calculate the electricity production from your PV system using the following equation:
- Electricity production from the PV system = (kW of PV) x (kWh/kW-year) = kWh/year
- Estimate your annual electric bill savings by multiplying the electricity production from your PV system by the residential rate, which is the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour (kWh) that you pay to your utility company. For example, if the residential rate is $0.10/kWh, and your PV system generates 5,000 kWh/year, then your estimated annual savings would be $500.
- By following these steps, you can determine the size of the PV system you need, estimate its energy production, and calculate your potential cost savings.
Electric Bill Savings= (kWh per year) x (Residential Rate) =$/year
To determine your monthly electric bill savings, simply divide the result obtained from the above equation by 12.
Enhancement of Property Valuation through Solar Power Installation
Installing a solar power system in your house not only reduces your operating expenses but also increases the value of your property significantly. When you decide to sell your house, you can expect a higher price due to the added value of the solar power system. This may even lead to a reduced capital gains tax. In the meantime, you can enjoy substantial savings on your electric bills while living in the house.
Reducing Overhead Costs through Solar Energy
By installing solar panels in your house or office, you can significantly reduce your overhead expenses. However, proper mounting of the kit is necessary for optimal efficiency. With a lifespan of 20-30 years, solar panels can last up to 40 years with proper maintenance, saving you the cost and hassle of frequent repairs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do solar panels produce and store energy?
Solar energy technology involves the conversion of sunlight into electricity through the use of photovoltaic (PV) panels. However, the electricity produced by solar energy is in the form of direct current (DC), which needs to be converted into alternating current (AC) by an inverter to power homes, offices, or businesses. The energy generated through solar power can be consumed instantly, saved in batteries for future use, or even sold back to the electric grid.
What are the benefits of solar energy power systems?
Solar power systems offer the potential for energy independence, thanks to advancements in renewable energy technology, digital management tools, and advanced storage systems. This means that individuals and communities can now rely more on solar energy, which is becoming increasingly affordable, flexible, and accessible.
Is solar good for electricity?
Solar power offers various benefits, primarily being a renewable and eco-friendly source of electricity. Additionally, solar power is scalable and can cater to the energy needs of an individual household or an entire industry.
- FESCO SHUTDOWN SCHEDULE - November 30, 2023
- How To Calculate Solar Electricity Bill - November 30, 2023
- How Much Will My Electric Bill Be with Solar Panels - November 30, 2023